Militants may have infiltrated in Poonch: Army
Jammu: A group of half a dozen militants may have succeeded in infiltrating into India in Poonch district of Jammu and Kashmir, army sources said Sunday, adding searches were on.
According to army sources, a group of 4-5 people was detected by army troops in Hamirpur area of Poonch, about 240 km northwest of Jammu, early Sunday morning.
They said the area was immediately cordoned off and the group was challenged by army troops.
"In response, the group members went into hiding in the bushes and opened indiscriminate fire on troops," said a source, adding and exchange of fire for over an hour followed.
An extensive search operation was launched in the area after the firing stopped but "so far there has been no recovery of any sorts".
Police have also joined the army in carrying out searches. The army sources suspect that the group has been able to intrude into the Indian side. The operation will resume Monday morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!