Militants may have infiltrated in Poonch: Army
Jammu: A group of half a dozen militants may have succeeded in infiltrating into India in Poonch district of Jammu and Kashmir, army sources said Sunday, adding searches were on.
According to army sources, a group of 4-5 people was detected by army troops in Hamirpur area of Poonch, about 240 km northwest of Jammu, early Sunday morning.
They said the area was immediately cordoned off and the group was challenged by army troops.
"In response, the group members went into hiding in the bushes and opened indiscriminate fire on troops," said a source, adding and exchange of fire for over an hour followed.
An extensive search operation was launched in the area after the firing stopped but "so far there has been no recovery of any sorts".
Police have also joined the army in carrying out searches. The army sources suspect that the group has been able to intrude into the Indian side. The operation will resume Monday morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS