Mirwaiz to back Rahul if he accepts realities on Kashmir
Srinagar: Chairman of moderate Hurriyat Conference Mirwaiz Umer Farooq on Friday assured Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi the support of people, especially youth, provided he accepted the realities on Kashmir and worked towards resolution of the issue.
"We hope the new generation leadership of India will accept the reality and come forward for the better future of not only the people of Kashmir but the people of India as well ...If they move forward with positive thinking and realistic approach, they will find the youth in Kashmir and their leadership with them," the Mirwaiz told a Friday congregation at Jamia Masjid here.
Referring to the just concluded two-day visit of Rahul to Jammu and Kashmir, the Hurriyat chairman said he was disappointed that the Gandhi scion did not talk about the realities of Kashmir.
"He (Rahul) talked about many things like employment, women development, strengthening of democratic institutions and Panchayati Raj. But unfortunately, the new generation leadership of India, from whom the people of Kashmir expect that when they come here from Delhi they will point towards the reality, did not talk about the realities," he said.
The Mirwaiz said the most important thing is that the political instability prevalent in the region has to be addressed and the Indian leadership has to change their thinking and approach towards Kashmir.
"India is saying that more than 50 percent of its population is of youth and the country needs young leadership. We are happy if India gets a young leadership. It will be good for the peace and prosperity of the people of India," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump Inauguration LIVE: US President vows to eradicate Islamic terrorism from the face of Earth