MLA demands probe in security expenses not availed by him
Srinagar: An independent MLA from Jammu and Kashmir has demanded a probe into security expenditure shown against his name by the Police Department and claimed that he has not availed security services during the past three years.
"I am surprised that the Home Department has shown an expense of Rs 2.83 lakh against my name for providing fuel on security reasons over the past three years. It is a known fact that I have not availed any security from the government during this period," Rashid, who represents Langate constituency in Kupwara district, told PTI on Sunday.
A senior officer of the Security wing of State Police said, while it was a fact that Rashid was not availing any security personnel, he had been provided escorts from time to time.
"Escort was provided (to Rashid) on various occasions, despite his declining the same," the security officer said.
Rashid, however, alleged that "some white collar officers" in the police department have misled everybody.
"It is obvious that the amount would have gone in the pockets of those people who run the state like a public enterprise and leave no opportunity to loot the state exchequer. It is the legal and moral duty of top brasses in Home and Police department to investigate the matter and come clean on the issue," the MLA said.
Rashid claimed that top authorities in Home and Police Departments had on many occasions asked him to avail security as well as a bullet proof car, "which I refused every time as a mark of protest against the behaviour of police towards masses".
Rashid said he will move the Court if the State Government does not come clean over the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday