New package for rehabilitation of Kashmiri Pandits in offing
New Delhi: A comprehensive plan is being worked out for the return of Kashmiri Pandits to the Valley and their rehabilitation with the Narendra Modi government according top priority to the issue.
Enhanced financial assistance, security to life and property, government jobs and other employment opportunities and subsidies ration will be part of the package that could be announced as incentive for the return of Pandits, government officials said.
"The discussions are at a very preliminary stage. The new Home Minister Rajnath Singh has been given a detailed presentation on the status of the displaced Kashmiri Pandits," an official said.
BJP election manifesto also mentioned that it was committed to ensure return of Kashmiri Pandits with full dignity. The number of displaced people post 1990 migration from the valley following militant activities has increased by six-seven lakhs.
According to plans, the new package will be more attractive than the one announced by the then Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in April 2008 for return and rehabilitation of Kashmiri migrants.
That package included assistance of Rs 7.5 lakh per family for reconstruction for fully or partially damaged houses, assistance of Rs 2 lakh per family for dilapidated houses, assistance of Rs 7.5 lakh per family for purchase of a house in Group Housing Societies for those who have sold their properties during the period of turmoil in 1989.
Like the previous one, returnee migrant families will be provided transit accommodation during the interim period when they undertake the reconstruction or repair of their houses.
Those returnee families, who may not be provided transit accommodation, would be given rental and incidental expenses.
All of them will be provided security if they feel insecure anywhere, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Bihar polls: Alert sounded ahead of PM Modi's rallies in Bihar
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook