New package for rehabilitation of Kashmiri Pandits in offing
New Delhi: A comprehensive plan is being worked out for the return of Kashmiri Pandits to the Valley and their rehabilitation with the Narendra Modi government according top priority to the issue.
Enhanced financial assistance, security to life and property, government jobs and other employment opportunities and subsidies ration will be part of the package that could be announced as incentive for the return of Pandits, government officials said.
"The discussions are at a very preliminary stage. The new Home Minister Rajnath Singh has been given a detailed presentation on the status of the displaced Kashmiri Pandits," an official said.
BJP election manifesto also mentioned that it was committed to ensure return of Kashmiri Pandits with full dignity. The number of displaced people post 1990 migration from the valley following militant activities has increased by six-seven lakhs.
According to plans, the new package will be more attractive than the one announced by the then Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in April 2008 for return and rehabilitation of Kashmiri migrants.
That package included assistance of Rs 7.5 lakh per family for reconstruction for fully or partially damaged houses, assistance of Rs 2 lakh per family for dilapidated houses, assistance of Rs 7.5 lakh per family for purchase of a house in Group Housing Societies for those who have sold their properties during the period of turmoil in 1989.
Like the previous one, returnee migrant families will be provided transit accommodation during the interim period when they undertake the reconstruction or repair of their houses.
Those returnee families, who may not be provided transit accommodation, would be given rental and incidental expenses.
All of them will be provided security if they feel insecure anywhere, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says