New political front floated in Jammu and Kashmir
Srinagar: With Lok Sabha and Assembly polls due next year, several marginal political outfits in Jammu and Kashmir on Wednesday floated People`s United Front (PUF), a `Third Front` meant to provide alternative policies to those of major political outfits in the state.
The front was launched at a public rally organised by the constituent parties at Sher-e-Kashmir Municipal Park here. "It is an alternative platform to provide alternative policies to the people of Jammu and Kashmir. It is not just for elections only," CPI(M) State secretary M Y Tarigami, one of the constituents of the new front, said in his address to the rally.
Tarigami said he will seek support of intellectuals, civil society and like-minded political groups and leaders for the new platform in order to solve the problems faced by the people of the state. The other constituents of the `Third Front` are Sheikh Abdul Rehman (Samajwadi Party), Sanjay Saraf (Lok Jana Shakti Party), Abdul Rehman Tukru (CPI), independent MLA from Khansahib Hakim Mohammad Yasin and former member of Parliament Abdul Rashid Kabuli.
The state Assembly elections are also scheduled towards the end of 2014. The leaders of the front called on India and Pakistan to put an end to hostilities along the Line of Control and international border in Jammu and Kashmir.
They also called for resumption of dialogue between New Delhi and Islamabad to find an "honourable and dignified" solution to the Kashmir issue. The leaders demanded the controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act should be revoked along with the Public Safety Act passed by the state legislature.
The other leaders called for returning the power projects operated by NHPC in the state to the local government as recommended by one of the working groups set up by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh after the Round Table Conference in 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened