No infiltration in valley this year: GOC-in-C Northern Command
Srinagar: Army on Sunday said there has been no infiltration of militants from Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) in the valley so far this year and troops are alert to take on any challenge along the LoC and the hinterland.
"No infiltration has taken place. We are prepared and our counter infiltration grid is in place. The troops are alert. We are ready to take on any challenge," General Officer Commanding in Chief of Army`s Northern Command Lieutenant General Sanjiv Chachra told reporters here.
Lt Gen Chachra, who concluded his two-day visit to Kashmir today, said there was complete peace along the Line of Control.
"The situation along the LoC is well under control. There is peace, we are vigilant, we are aware and ready to face all the challenges that are going to come in next few months," he said.
On the situation in the valley`s hinterland, the Army commander said there is peace but the forces are ready face to any challenges posed by militants during summers.
Lt Gen Chachra arrived here on Friday and visited the army formations along the forward areas in the valley. He was brief about the situation by senior army officers including the General officer Commanding of the Srinagar-based Chinar Corps Lt General Gurmit Singh.
The GOC-in-C also separately called on Governor N N Vohra and Chief Minister Omar Abdullah during his visit to the valley and briefed them about the security situation along the LoC and in the hinterland.
Earlier in the day, the army commander paid tributes to nearly 4,500 martyrs of Chinar Corps here, who laid down their lives in service of the nation since 1947.
He offered a floral wreath on Chinar Corps War Memorial inside the Badamibagh Cantonment here.
"It is a solemn day. I paid my tribute to the gallant warriors of Chinar Corps who had laid down their lives for the safety and integrity of this country. It was their sacrifice that is taking us forward today. It cannot be forgotten and we shall remember them. They will be a motivating factor for times to come," Lt Gen Chachra said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof