No lowering guard along frontiers till clam prevails: J&K Guv
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Governor N N Vohra today said security forces cannot even think of lowering guard under any circumstances till such time as sustained calm prevails on the north western frontiers in the state.
"Till such time as sustained calm prevails on the north western frontiers our security forces cannot even think of lowering their guard under any circumstances," Vohra said in his address, after hoisting the tricolour at Maulana Azad Stadium here on the occasion of the 64th Republic Day.
Growth and development can take place only in an environment of sustained peace and normalcy, he said.
Jammu and Kashmir has not been able to timely pursue and achieve its developmental goals because of the malicious trans-border factors and serious internal disturbances which our people have had to face for so many years, Vohra said.
He said in the past two years there has been a decline in terrorist violence and observed that if there are no adverse developments along our frontiers in the coming time people can look forward to enjoying the fruits of peace.
The Governor said "thanks to the role played by the people of Jammu and Kashmir and the supreme sacrifices made by police and the security forces, the state is moving ahead on the path of peace and development.
"If our people remain committed to thwarting the activities of anti-national elements, the state shall achieve lasting peace and move rapidly on the path of progress and prosperity."
On the occasion, the Governor took the salute and inspected the march past by the security forces.
A colourful cultural programme based on national integration and the glorious composite heritage of the state was presented by thousands of students on this occasion.
Bhartiyam, in which about 2,000 students from various educational institutions participated received a thunderous applause.
Vohra said he was confident that if the administrative system works with promptitude, efficiency and visible accountability, Jammu and Kashmir shall soon emerge as one of leading states in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Mumbai Police recovers car used in Sheena's murder; Indrani, Sanjeev, driver to be taken to crime spot in Raigad