Normal life affected in Kashmir Valley due to strike by separatists
Srinagar: Normal life in Kashmir was affected on Monday due to a strike called by separatists to protest the alleged unprovoked firing on civilians in south Kashmir`s Pulwama district last week, even as curfew-like restrictions continued for the fourth day in the town.
Shops, business establishments, educational institutions, banks and courts remained closed in response to the strike call given by both factions of Hurriyat Conference and supported by other separatist groups.
Public transport remained mostly off the roads in Srinagar and other major towns of the Valley. However, private cars were seen plying on the roads.
Seven persons were injured when security forces opened fire at Pulwama chowk, 32 km from here, to make way for vehicles carrying four persons including two Army officers who were injured in a gunbattle with two Lashkar-e-Toiba militants in a nearby village on Friday.
Both the Army and police are claiming that their personnel did not fire at the people. The district administration has ordered a magisterial probe into the incident.
A senior official of the Pulwama district administration said restrictions were still in place as sporadic incidents of stone-pelting have continued in the town since Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations