Normal life hit in Kashmir due to separatist-sponsored strike
Srinagar: Normal life was disrupted in Kashmir Valley for the second day on Thursday due to a strike called by hardline Hurriyat Conference in support of their demand for handing over the body of Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru, who was hanged in Tihar Jail.
Most of the shops, business establishments and petrol pumps remained closed due to the strike, while public transport remained off the roads.
However, private vehicles could be seen plying on the roads in Srinagar and some other parts of the Valley.
Attendance in government offices was thin and most of the banks were closed due to the nationwide strike sponsored by trade unions. Schools remained shut on account of winter vacation.
Hurriyat Conference led by Syed Ali Shah Geelani, who is under house arrest in Delhi, had issued a protest calendar on Monday, saying complete "civil curfew" will be observed on Wednesday and Thursday, while a shutdown will be observed after Friday prayers followed by peaceful protests.
Hundreds of policemen donning riot gear were deployed in sensitive areas in Srinagar and other towns to thwart any possible protest.
Authorities on Tuesday imposed restrictions under Section 144 CrPC in Srinagar, apprehending law and order problems in view of the three-day strike called by the separatist group.
The authorities said the restrictions were imposed to avoid breach of peace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH