Omar for achieving self-sufficiency in irrigation
Srinagar: Describing agriculture as the mainstay of state`s economy, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday pressed for enhancing irrigation potential to increase farm productivity in the state.
"The government has focused development of agriculture as one of the important concerns in the development policy and enhancement of irrigation facilities is receiving added attention," Omar said after inaugurating the reactivated Lethpora Irrigation scheme in Pulwama district.
Besides promoting use of modern technology and cultivation of improved seed varieties, government is paying due attention to enhance irrigation facilities across the state, he said.
Omar asked the farmers to adopt modern techniques and take advantage of the schemes introduced by the government.
"Farmers should also utilise high yielding seed varieties, give balanced doze of fertilizers and optimal irrigation facilities to help raise per hectare productivity," he said.
The chief minister said agriculture sector has been kept outside the ambit of tax regime to encourage entrepreneurs for investment.
The Lethpora irrigation scheme is expected to support cultivation of saffron, besides of being help for Kharif and Rabi crops in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery