Omar pays homage to martyrs of Karbala on Muharram
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday paid homage to the martyrs of Karbala on the eve of Ashura (the 10th day of mourning in Muharram).
Omar said,"Imam Hussain (AS) and his companions exhibited unparallelled courage and patience and made historic sacrifices at the Karbala battle."
"Karbala teaches us the lesson of upholding principals of righteousness under all circumstances and deny evil forces to make us succumb or bow before them," the chief minister said.
In 680 AD, Karbala battle took place between a small army led by Hussain and an army sent by Yazid I. Hussain and several members his family were massacred in the battle.
Shia sect of Muslims mourn the death of the `martyrs` during Muharram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Mahatma Gandhi: Know six things you didn't know about him
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview