Omar pays homage to martyrs of Karbala on Muharram
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday paid homage to the martyrs of Karbala on the eve of Ashura (the 10th day of mourning in Muharram).
Omar said,"Imam Hussain (AS) and his companions exhibited unparallelled courage and patience and made historic sacrifices at the Karbala battle."
"Karbala teaches us the lesson of upholding principals of righteousness under all circumstances and deny evil forces to make us succumb or bow before them," the chief minister said.
In 680 AD, Karbala battle took place between a small army led by Hussain and an army sent by Yazid I. Hussain and several members his family were massacred in the battle.
Shia sect of Muslims mourn the death of the `martyrs` during Muharram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'