Omar pays homage to martyrs of Karbala on Muharram
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday paid homage to the martyrs of Karbala on the eve of Ashura (the 10th day of mourning in Muharram).
Omar said,"Imam Hussain (AS) and his companions exhibited unparallelled courage and patience and made historic sacrifices at the Karbala battle."
"Karbala teaches us the lesson of upholding principals of righteousness under all circumstances and deny evil forces to make us succumb or bow before them," the chief minister said.
In 680 AD, Karbala battle took place between a small army led by Hussain and an army sent by Yazid I. Hussain and several members his family were massacred in the battle.
Shia sect of Muslims mourn the death of the `martyrs` during Muharram.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory