Pakistan troops open fire at Indian posts in Kashmir
Jammu: Pakistani troops opened heavy gun fire at 10 Indian posts along the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir in a bid to push in terrorists into the state, army officials said Sunday.
The Pakistani firing began late Saturday in Krishna Ghati sector in the mountainous district of Poonch, about 250 km from here, and lasted till Sunday morning.
"They used small arms, light machineguns and rockets. The firing was heavy up to 11 p.m. Thereafter, it became intermittent and was going on till 7 a.m.," an official said.
Indian troops retaliated "to silence the Pakistani guns", he said.
The exchange of fire has stopped. "Ours was a measured response aimed at preventing infiltration and silence Pakistani firing," an official said.
The army said the motive of the firing was give cover to a group of around 16 terrorists trying to cross the LoC to get into Jammu and Kashmir.
Though the army said it was an unsuccessful bid, an officer said they were searching the area to find if any infiltrator sneaked in.
In another incident, a soldier on patrol near the Salotri post in Krishna Ghati sector was injured in a landmine blast Saturday evening.
The army blamed it on a stray landmine but people in Mendhar town told IANS that these landmines were planted by "Pakistani agents" to inflict casualties on the Indian Army.
Aijaz Kazmi, a journalist in Poonch, said: "Never have Indian soldiers stepped over their own mines so frequently in this area. It suggests some mischief by forces in Pakistan."
Four such cases have happened since Nov 17 in which one army porter and three soldiers were injured.
More than 50 cases of ceasefire violations have taken place this year.
India and Pakistan agreed to a ceasefire on the frontiers in November 2003.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you