Panchayat body demands more powers, threatens hunger strike
Jammu: Panchayat members in Jammu and Kashmir on Sunday threatened to go on a hunger strike from March 24 if a bill seeking more powers for them was not presented in the state Assembly within a week.
"We urge the government to bring in a Bill within seven days to implement all the provisions of the 73rd Amendment Act, else we will go on a 72-hour hunger strike from March 24," Anil Sharma, General Secretary of the All Jammu and Kashmir Panchayat Conference (AJKPC), told reporters here.
AJKPC is an apex body of about 33,000 Panchayat members.
Sharma hailed the government`s initiative to increase the honorarium for Panches and Sarpanches as a step in the right direction, but insisted that their main aim was the empowerment of Panchayats.
"We are not satisfied with the raise in the honorarium for Panches and Sarpanches (although) we believe it is a step in the right direction. Our main objective is empowerment of Panchayats and security for Panches and Sarpanches," Sharma said.
Sharma said that AJKPC had been hoping that senior legislators like Harshdev Singh of Jammu and Kashmir National Panthers Party and CPI(M)`s MY Tarigami would raise their voice in support of the Panchayats, "but they were instead engaged in vague discussions."
"We expected that our senior MLAs will raise their voice in support of Panchayats and will force the government to implement the 73rd Amendment Act, but they are instead discussing something else," Sharma said.
Stressing on the need for greater security for Panchayat members, Sharma said the government was spending crores of rupees on providing protection to VIPs, but ignoring those who needed it the most.
"They are spending Rs 100 crore on security for VIPs but those who need it the most have been ignored. They have not taken any step in the direction of providing security to Panches and Sarpanches," he alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption