PDP condemns killing of youth in Bandipore
Srinagar: Opposition PDP Saturday condemned the killing of a youth allegedly in police firing in Bandipora district and demanded that Jammu and Kashmir Government should withdraw all cases against Kashmiri youths for holding protests.
"We condemn the killing of Farhat Ahmad Dar during protests against arrests and filing of cases against youth (by police) in their area at Sumbal yesterday," PDP president Mehbooba Mufti told reporters here.
She said the killing of Dar should awaken the government "out of its slumber" to withdraw all the cases filed against youths for holding protests from time to time.
"If any one is involved in militancy or other criminal activity, cases against them are fine. However, the cases for holding protests should be withdrawn," she demanded.
Dar, 18, was killed yesterday allegedly when security forces opened fire to chase away a violent mob that tried to set afire a police vehicle during protests after Friday prayers at Sumbal in Bandipora district.
Mehbooba accused the National Conference-Congress alliance having turned "maneater", particularly targeting the youths of Kashmir.
"They want to push the youth against the wall," she added.
The PDP president also lashed out at the Bandipora district police chief, who, she alleged, has been appointed at the behest of a local politician from the ruling party.
"We have come to know that the (security) agencies wanted an experienced officer in Bandipora in view of the district being sensitive and coming elections. But the present officer was appointed against that recommendation at the behest of a local leader. The Election Commission should look into the matter," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh