PDP condemns killing of youth in Bandipore
Srinagar: Opposition PDP Saturday condemned the killing of a youth allegedly in police firing in Bandipora district and demanded that Jammu and Kashmir Government should withdraw all cases against Kashmiri youths for holding protests.
"We condemn the killing of Farhat Ahmad Dar during protests against arrests and filing of cases against youth (by police) in their area at Sumbal yesterday," PDP president Mehbooba Mufti told reporters here.
She said the killing of Dar should awaken the government "out of its slumber" to withdraw all the cases filed against youths for holding protests from time to time.
"If any one is involved in militancy or other criminal activity, cases against them are fine. However, the cases for holding protests should be withdrawn," she demanded.
Dar, 18, was killed yesterday allegedly when security forces opened fire to chase away a violent mob that tried to set afire a police vehicle during protests after Friday prayers at Sumbal in Bandipora district.
Mehbooba accused the National Conference-Congress alliance having turned "maneater", particularly targeting the youths of Kashmir.
"They want to push the youth against the wall," she added.
The PDP president also lashed out at the Bandipora district police chief, who, she alleged, has been appointed at the behest of a local politician from the ruling party.
"We have come to know that the (security) agencies wanted an experienced officer in Bandipora in view of the district being sensitive and coming elections. But the present officer was appointed against that recommendation at the behest of a local leader. The Election Commission should look into the matter," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate