PDP stages protest against NC MLA
Srinagar: A protest rally was today held by opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) supporters from Sonawari constituency against the local MLA and minister for Higher Education Mohammad Akbar Lone for his "immoral behaviour" and "abusive" language during a meeting earlier.
The protesters, led by PDP leader Yasir Reshi, held the rally at Press Enclave here and shouted slogans against Lone, who belongs to the ruling National Conference.
Lone had a heated exchange with PDP legislators at a meeting of the District Development Board Bandipora yesterday, where the leaders of both the parties used "unparliamentary" language against each other.
The protesters claimed that the people of the area "do not want to keep any links with him."
"We are fed up of his bad and abusive language and immoral behaviour. We do not want him to represent us anymore," the protesters shouted.
"We cannot tolerate anything against a respectable person like (PDP MLC) Naeem Akhtar," they said.
Criticising Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, Reshi said "is this (abusive language) what the government wants to preach to the students?"
The government should have sacked Lone as a Speaker when he used "abusive language" against PDP MLA Iftikhar Hussain Ansari in the Assembly, Reshi alleged while referring to an incident two years ago.
The protesters tried to march towards Lal Chowk, but police stopped them and took dozens of them, including Reshi, into preventive custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'