PDP stages protest against NC MLA
Srinagar: A protest rally was today held by opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) supporters from Sonawari constituency against the local MLA and minister for Higher Education Mohammad Akbar Lone for his "immoral behaviour" and "abusive" language during a meeting earlier.
The protesters, led by PDP leader Yasir Reshi, held the rally at Press Enclave here and shouted slogans against Lone, who belongs to the ruling National Conference.
Lone had a heated exchange with PDP legislators at a meeting of the District Development Board Bandipora yesterday, where the leaders of both the parties used "unparliamentary" language against each other.
The protesters claimed that the people of the area "do not want to keep any links with him."
"We are fed up of his bad and abusive language and immoral behaviour. We do not want him to represent us anymore," the protesters shouted.
"We cannot tolerate anything against a respectable person like (PDP MLC) Naeem Akhtar," they said.
Criticising Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, Reshi said "is this (abusive language) what the government wants to preach to the students?"
The government should have sacked Lone as a Speaker when he used "abusive language" against PDP MLA Iftikhar Hussain Ansari in the Assembly, Reshi alleged while referring to an incident two years ago.
The protesters tried to march towards Lal Chowk, but police stopped them and took dozens of them, including Reshi, into preventive custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes