PDP stages walkout over Baramulla firing issue
Jammu: Opposition PDP on Wednesday attacked the Omar Abdullah government for the incident of firing by security forces in Baramulla in which one youth was killed, and staged walkout from Jammu and Kashmir Assembly.
Speaker Mubarak Gul accepted the adjournment motion moved by PDP to hold discussion over the firing incident.
Speaking on the motion, Leader of Opposition Mehbooba Mufti said, "There is no credibility of the Omar government. Omar said he was helpless...He said why bullets were fired on mob for stone-pelting... But remember in 2010, same chief minister said there will be bullets for stones".
"Government is ruling the state from the barrel of gun... there are firing incidents ... Curfews, arrests, house arrests of Syed Ali Shah Geelani, preparation of ground for punishing Yasin Malik," Mufti said.
"Basically Chief Minister wants to divert his failures by blaming it on AFSPA. You (Omar) cannot wash your hands by showing helplessness," she said.
The Speaker intervened and asked Mufti to take her seat as time for her speech had expired, following which PDP members demanded that she be allowed to continue.
When the request was turned down, PDP members staged walkout in protest.
Speaking on the motion, BJP member Chaman Lal Gupta said Army should not be blamed for all ills in Jammu and Kashmir.
"We want punishment to be given to those responsible for firing incident after thorough probe, but please do not tarnish the image of Army," he said.
Supporting his point of view, Congress member M S Naiz said erring jawans or officers can be punished after court marshal proceedings through the Army Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video