Police rescue 3 undercover cops after attack by locals in Srinagar
Srinagar: Police fired teargas shells and used batons to rescue three of their colleagues who were caught by an angry mob after mistaking them for thieves in Ganderbal district of central Kashmir on Saturday.
Three undercover cops including a Special Police Officer (SPO) were caught by an agitating locals, who mistook them as thieves at a village in Gund, 40 kms from here, on Srinagar-Sonamarg national highway, the officials said.
The cops had been deputed by an officer investigating spurt in cases of burglary in Gund but despite revealing their identity, the angry mob did not pay heed to repeated requests to release them.
They thrashed the undercover cops, accusing them of being behind the burglaries in the village and staged a demonstration on the highway demanding stern action against them, the officials said.
Police resorted to teargas shelling and used batons to disperse the protesters and rescued the cops.
All the three policemen were rescued and shifted to a local hospital, the officials said.
Senior officers of Civil Administration rushed to the village to pacify the agitating villagers, the officials said adding the meeting between the locals and officials was going on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi