Police use baton to disperse anti-govt rally in Jammu
Jammu: Police baton-charged PDP supporters, who had taken out an anti-government rally, to stop them from marching towards the state secretariat here on Monday.
Similar protests by opposition People`s Democratic Party (PDP) supporters were witnessed in Doda, Kishtwar, Udhampur and Kathua districts of Jammu and Kashmir.
They were protesting against "misgovernance and rampant corruption" in the state government recruitment and the "general inability" of those in power to address the day-to-day problems of the common man in the state.
Led by the senior leaders of the party, including its vice-president Dilawar Mir and general secretary Balbir Singh, over 400 PDP activists were marching towards the state secretariat and Raj Bhavan when they were stopped by a police contingent at Jewel Chowk.
The protesting PDP workers clashed with the police, who in turn resorted to a baton-charge to disperse the crowd with some protesters complaining of injuries sustained in the police action.
The decision to hold demonstrations against the state government was taken at a January 08 meeting of the party under the chairmanship of its patron, Mufti Mohammad Sayeed.
"We were holding a peaceful protest march in Jammu and wanted to present a memorandum to the J&K Governor over the total failure of the Omar Abdullah government," Mir told reporters and lashed out at the police and the state government for the unprovoked attack on peaceful protesters, an act he described as "highly condemnable".
Mir said that the Omar government had, in the last four years, done nothing to alleviate the miseries of the people of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried