Power supply nearly restored in Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: The Kashmir Valley, which had plunged into darkness Friday evening after two transmission lines bringing electricity from the northern power grid snapped, was in for some respite Monday after one of the lines was restored.
"The 400 KV Kishenpur-Wagoora transmission line was restored Sunday evening. Electric supply has been restored in most areas of Srinagar, Ganderbal, Badgam, Baramulla, Kupwara, Anantnag, Kulgam, Shopian, Pulwama and Bandipora towns, except for some local faults in south Kashmir`s far-flung areas which are being corrected," said Muhammad Muzaffar Mattoo, chief engineer (electric maintenance) Kashmir.
"We have restored power supply to Gulmarg. We have also restored electricity to the far-flung areas of Tangdhar and Keran. We are in the process of restoring the supply in Pahalgam by today evening," Mattoo informed.
The electric supply in Kashmir has improved from a bare 87 megawatts to over 700 megawatts.
"We are supplying over 700 megawatts of power in the valley and are importing more to take up the availability to 1,000 megawatts. This will restore normal supply throughout the valley today," said Mattoo.
The chief engineer added that the other major power transmission line, the 220 KV Kishenpur-Pampore line, was also being restored.
"The restoration work on the Kishenpur-Pampore line is on. The electric power situation is near normal now. All essential supplies, including those to hospitals, water filtration plants, airports, dewatering stations and the supply position to the consumers, are running on schedule. The worst is already over," the chief engineer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India