Question paper leak case: Ex-BOPEE head appears before Crime Branch
Srinagar: The former chairman of the Jammu and Kashmir Board of Professional Entrance Examinations (BOPEE), Mushtaq Ahmad Peer, Wednesday appeared before Crime Branch here in connection with the case of the alleged sale of Common Entrance Test (CET) question papers last year.
Peer walked into the Crime Branch office here this morning following raids at his residences in Jammu and Srinagar over the past two days in connection with the probe into the said case, sources said.
Some incriminating documents were recovered from the Hazratbal (Srinagar) and Sidhra (Jammu) residences of Peer, the sources added.
The Crime Branch probe into the case started after a written complaint was received earlier this year that 12 candidates had qualified through the CET 2012 exam by purchasing the question papers from a syndicate that included some officials who were close to the then BOPEE chairman.
According to the complaint, the said 12 students benefited from the scam and found admission at professional colleges in the state.
The suspicion of wrongdoing grew stronger when Crime Branch sleuths found that the said students had topped CET 2012 despite having below-average academic records.
These students had also failed the internal tests held by the professional colleges where they had enrolled. Three of these students are close relatives, including a brother-sister duo.
A Crime Branch official said they have so far arrested one person Sajad Ahmad Sofi who had acted as an agent in the racket.
During the probe, Crime Branch officials were startled to find that a special examination centre was set up in a hotel near Dal Lake for those candidates who had paid as much as Rs 20 lakh for ensuring admission to professional courses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark