Rats, stray dogs cause havoc in Jammu
Jammu: Rats and stray dogs have made life miserable for people in parts of Jammu with the local municipality confessing that the rodent invasion is not only "causing nuisance" to citizens but even damaging the foundations of buildings in this city of six million people.
The Jammu Municipal Corporation (JMC) says that the old city of Jammu has been virtually taken over by rodents.
The rats "have invaded every lane and drain and are causing nuisance to the inhabitants besides damaging the foundations of the buildings", the corporation has told the chief minister`s secretariat. The municipality`s anti-rat drive of the last two years has proved a near failure - despite giving away over 60,000 anti-rodent pills.
The municipality`s admission follows RTI activist Raman Sharma`s petition seeking the intervention of the Jammu and Kashmir health department and the Jammu municipality to declare war on rodents.
"We have tried our level best but now it is not in the hands of citizens. Therefore, we want the intervention of the government and its agencies," Sharma said in his petition.
Sharma fears epidemics.
The corporation is also grappling with the menace of stray dogs.
JMC Commissioner KL Khajuria said: "We do not have an estimate on the number of stray dogs in the city but are very sure that their population is rising by the day."
Khajuria said about 20 cases of dog bites were reported daily in the city.
The municipality has started sterilising stray dogs as it cannot kill or castrate them.
Worse, it has no space to provide shelter to strays it can catch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees