Rs 42 lakh provident fund fraud unearthed in Kashmir
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Police Friday cracked a provident fund fraud in which the treasurer of a public school had swindled Rs.42 lakh from the accounts of school employees.
A police officer said: "Baramulla police arrested the treasurer of Saint Joseph School in north Kashmir`s Baramulla town for fraudulently withdrawing Rs.42 lakh from the provident fund of employees of the school. A charge sheet was filed against the accused in court today (Friday)."
"On July 12, the principal of St Joseph School Baramulla had lodged a complaint alleging that while scrutinising account books pertaining to provident funds of staff members, huge discrepancies were found," police said.
"Preliminary investigations revealed that there had been huge withdrawals and transfers of money from the individual fund accounts of a number of school employees without their consent and knowledge," they added.
"An FIR was registered and investigations were initiated by a special investigation team. During the investigation, it came to light that funds were withdrawn by the treasurer of the school by forging signatures of the principal and staff members," police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her