SC raps J&K government for differential compensation
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday came down heavily on Jammu and Kashmir government`s policy to award differential ex-gratia compensations to state subjects and outsiders who are the victims of riots or other similar incidents.
"Can you manage the state without the assistance of others? Can you discriminate between natives and outsiders who lost their lives while serving in your state? We know that you have a special status," a bench headed by Chief Justice P Sathasivam said.
The court also took strong note of the affidavit filed by Additional Secretary General (Administration) on behalf of the state government and directed the Chief Secretary to file a detailed response.
"You (lawyer for J&K) are not properly advising your client. You must cooperate when you see we are burdened with so many cases," the bench, also comprising Justice Ranjana Prakash Desai, said.
The bench was hearing a PIL seeking a direction to the Centre and Jammu and Kashmir government to provide adequate security and safe passage to pilgrims stranded due to curfew in Kishtwar where communal clashes had taken place on the day of Eid-ul-Fitr.
The state government, in its fresh affidavit, however, has said, "The policy with regard to payment of ex-gratia relief to the paramilitary/security forces, defence personnel and J&K police personnel is being reviewed by the state government with the objective of providing an updated and comprehensive policy in this regard. An endeavour is being made to complete this exercise within the shortest possible time."
The state, at the same time, also justified its stand of differential compensation policy by invoking the Instrument of Accession and the Special Status granted to it by Article 370 of the Constitution.
"It is most respectfully submitted that where ex-gratia payments are made by way of discretionary relief, no legally enforceable right is vested in any beneficiary to claim equally or identical treatment with another beneficiary of ex-gratia reliefs under the same policy," the affidavit said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM