Security forces evacuate hotels with tourism boom in Srinagar
Srinagar: As decline in militancy paved way for influx of tourists in Jammu and Kashmir over the past two decades, over 60 per cent hotels occupied by the security forces in Srinagar city have been evacuated.
Consequent upon the improving security scenario in the city and the huge rush of tourists this year, the government in consultation with various agencies evacuated these hotels and other buildings and relocated forces to other places, officials said.
"Over 60 per cent of hotels occupied by security forces have been evacuated.
Almost 150 hotels and other buildings which were being held by security forces have been evacuated and there is less visibility of security forces now," Director Tourism, Kashmir, Talat Parvez said.
The director said the evacuation cannot be done in one go and is being done in a phased manner and rest of tourism infrastructure would be evacuated by the start of next tourism season.
"The rest of hotels (occupied by security forces) are being evacuated in a phased manner. By next start of season, I believe, all the hotels will be free from all security occupation and they (forces) will be relocated to someplace else," Parvez said.
Majority of the hotels in Srinagar were occupied by various security agencies in the wake of militancy in the early 1990s.
The state government is reducing footprints of security forces in the city and as many as 44 bunkers have been removed from the city in last two years.
The state witnessed a huge rush of tourists this year. The officials estimate the figure to be around 12 lakh till November, which includes more than 35,000 foreign tourists.
Parvez said there is a tremendous pressure to improve the
infrastructure and provide the best to tourists, who have been flocking to Kashmir in recent years.
"There has not been much improvement in tourism infrastructure in the last two decades of violence. Nothing new was created and whatever old infrastructure we had, got dilapidated. Tourist flow got almost doubled which meant more requirement and it was both ways having pressure on the infrastructure and we felt the need to have more infrastructure in place," he said.
The director said the department started the camping-site and guest-house scheme to immediately accommodate the large number of tourists.
"We have been very liberal in granting the incentives and asking people to convert their houses into guest-houses. We do not ask for many formalities and we allow them to conduct their business and ultimately, that will become one of the assets for us," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India