Slight relief from cold in Kashmir valley
Srinagar: Temperatures across Kashmir Valley rose for the second consecutive day on Sunday, bringing relief to people here after a long spell of intense cold conditions.
The minimum temperature in the summer capital Srinagar rose by more than a degree to settle at a low of 1.6 degree Celsius against the previous night`s 0.4 degree Celsius. This was a jump of over five notches in the last two days, a Met Department spokesman said today.
The temperatures had risen yesterday after fresh snowfall in the valley.
The minimum night temperature in Pahalgam hill resort in south Kashmir went up by almost two notches from yesterday`s minus 2.0 degree Celsius to minus 0.2 degree Celsius, which is an improvement of around eight degrees in the last two days.
The spokesman added that the famous skiing resort of Gulmarg in north Kashmir was a degree warmer at minus 4.2 degree Celsius than the previous night`s minus 5.2 degree Celsius.
The resort had received over five inches of snowfall yesterday.
The highway town of Qazigund in south Kashmir recorded a low of 1.7 degree Celsius; two degrees up from minus 0.7 degrees Celsius yesterday.
The night temperature in Kokernag was 0.3 degree Celsius, up from minus 1.9 degrees Celsius the previous night and in north Kashmir`s Kupwara town the minimum settled at minus 0.2 degree Celsius, the spokesman said.
Night temperature also increased in Leh town in Ladakh where the minimum settled at minus 10.2 degree Celsius as against minus 12.6 degrees Celsius the previous night.
The spokesman added that though Kargil, also in the frontier region of Ladakh, saw an increase of over seven degrees from minus 17.4 degrees Celsius the previous night, it was still the coldest recorded place in the state with a low of minus 10.6 degree Celsius.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical