Slight relief from cold in Kashmir valley
Srinagar: Temperatures across Kashmir Valley rose for the second consecutive day on Sunday, bringing relief to people here after a long spell of intense cold conditions.
The minimum temperature in the summer capital Srinagar rose by more than a degree to settle at a low of 1.6 degree Celsius against the previous night`s 0.4 degree Celsius. This was a jump of over five notches in the last two days, a Met Department spokesman said today.
The temperatures had risen yesterday after fresh snowfall in the valley.
The minimum night temperature in Pahalgam hill resort in south Kashmir went up by almost two notches from yesterday`s minus 2.0 degree Celsius to minus 0.2 degree Celsius, which is an improvement of around eight degrees in the last two days.
The spokesman added that the famous skiing resort of Gulmarg in north Kashmir was a degree warmer at minus 4.2 degree Celsius than the previous night`s minus 5.2 degree Celsius.
The resort had received over five inches of snowfall yesterday.
The highway town of Qazigund in south Kashmir recorded a low of 1.7 degree Celsius; two degrees up from minus 0.7 degrees Celsius yesterday.
The night temperature in Kokernag was 0.3 degree Celsius, up from minus 1.9 degrees Celsius the previous night and in north Kashmir`s Kupwara town the minimum settled at minus 0.2 degree Celsius, the spokesman said.
Night temperature also increased in Leh town in Ladakh where the minimum settled at minus 10.2 degree Celsius as against minus 12.6 degrees Celsius the previous night.
The spokesman added that though Kargil, also in the frontier region of Ladakh, saw an increase of over seven degrees from minus 17.4 degrees Celsius the previous night, it was still the coldest recorded place in the state with a low of minus 10.6 degree Celsius.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead