Srinagar-Jammu national highway opens for traffic
Srinagar: The Srinagar-Jammu national highway, which connects Kashmir Valley to the rest of the country, was on Sunday opened for traffic after remaining cut off for two days due to snowfall.
Traffic on the 294-km arterial road was stopped on Friday following snowfall in the areas around Jawahar Tunnel and only those vehicles were allowed to move yesterday which had been stranded a day earlier.
"The highway is open for traffic and vehicles are being allowed to ply from Srinagar towards Jammu," an official of the traffic department said.
Meanwhile, the weather in Valley remained dry for the last 24 hours and the MET Department here has said there would not be any large change in it for a few days.
Srinagar recorded a minimum temperature of minus 3.0 degree Celsius last night, down by over two degrees from the previous night`s low of minus 0.3 deg C, a MET Department official said.
He said the mercury in Qazigund - the gateway town to Kashmir Valley ? decreased over four degrees to settle at a low of minus 7.6 deg C as against minus 3.0 deg C the previous night.
Kupwara, in north Kashmir registered a low of minus 4.0 deg C, compared to the previous night`s minus 4.5 deg C, the official said.
He said the night temperature in south Kashmir`s Kokernag settled at a low of minus 5.7 deg C, over one degree down from the previous night?s minus 4.0 deg C.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened