Srinagar-Jammu national highway opens for traffic
Srinagar: The Srinagar-Jammu national highway, which connects Kashmir Valley to the rest of the country, was on Sunday opened for traffic after remaining cut off for two days due to snowfall.
Traffic on the 294-km arterial road was stopped on Friday following snowfall in the areas around Jawahar Tunnel and only those vehicles were allowed to move yesterday which had been stranded a day earlier.
"The highway is open for traffic and vehicles are being allowed to ply from Srinagar towards Jammu," an official of the traffic department said.
Meanwhile, the weather in Valley remained dry for the last 24 hours and the MET Department here has said there would not be any large change in it for a few days.
Srinagar recorded a minimum temperature of minus 3.0 degree Celsius last night, down by over two degrees from the previous night`s low of minus 0.3 deg C, a MET Department official said.
He said the mercury in Qazigund - the gateway town to Kashmir Valley ? decreased over four degrees to settle at a low of minus 7.6 deg C as against minus 3.0 deg C the previous night.
Kupwara, in north Kashmir registered a low of minus 4.0 deg C, compared to the previous night`s minus 4.5 deg C, the official said.
He said the night temperature in south Kashmir`s Kokernag settled at a low of minus 5.7 deg C, over one degree down from the previous night?s minus 4.0 deg C.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi