Strike disrupts normal life on polling day in Baramulla
Srinagar: The separatists-sponsored general strike disrupted normal life in the Baramulla parliamentary constituency of north Kashmir where polling began this morning amid tight security arrangements.
Shops, business establishments and petrol pumps were shut while public transport remained off the roads in the constituency spread over three districts of Baramulla, Kupwara and Bandipora in response to the strike call given by Hurriyat Conference against the holding of elections.
The effect of the strike was accentuated due to a holiday declared by the Election Commission in connection with the polling.
However, life remained unaffected in other parts of the valley including summer capital Srinagar as the separatists had restricted the strike call to north Kashmir districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE