Students should have behaved like sportsmen not politicians: NC leader
Srinagar: Reacting to the FIR lodged against Kashmiri students in Meerut, National Conference (NC) Party leader Mustafa Kamal on Thursday said that what the students had done was wrong as they should have behaved like sportsmen instead of behaving like politicians and that religion taught one to be faithful to one`s own country and not disrespect it.
"They could have kept their sentiments under control instead of offending the people. I got the information that fir has been lodged against the students, and if a FIR has been lodged then it means that somebody has been offended. They should have watched the sport as sportsmen instead of behaving like politicians," said Kamal.
"The students have said something which has offended the locals apparently. Although, I have not heard about any information about students being harassed. This is an action to a reaction, we may have some differences, but we belong to this country not any other," he said.
Meerut Police today filed a FIR against suspended Kashmiri students of a private university for alleged anti-national activities.
Last Sunday, 67 Kashmiri students were suspended in Meerut, after they cheered the Pakistan cricket team which cruised to victory in the India-Pakistan Asia Cup match in Bangladesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!