Three guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight
Srinagar: Three separatist guerrillas were killed in a gunfight in Jammu and Kashmir`s Pulwama district Thursday, police said.
Two soldiers were also injured in the exchange of fire.
"Security forces, including local police, Rashtriya Rifles and Central Reserve Police Force personnel, cordoned off Buchoo village (Tral) in Pulwama district in the afternoon following information about the presence of a group of militants there," a senior police officer told IANS.
"Trapped militants fired at the security forces, triggering the gunfight. Three militants belonging to Hizbul Mujahideen group were killed while two jawans of the Rashtriya Rifles were injured," he said.
"Firing has stopped at the encounter site where searches are still going on. All the three slain militants were locals. Three AK-47 rifles have been recovered from their possession," the official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II