Top LeT commander killed in encounter in Sopore
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Top Lashkar-e-Toiba commander was killed in an ongoing encounter in Sopore town of Jammu and Kashmir`s Baramulla district.
Acting on a specific information, a joint team of Army and Kashmir Police cordoned off Krankshavan clony in Sopore at around 5:15 pm on Sunday.
"Following specific intelligence inputs about the presence of a group of militants in Krankshavan colony of Sopore, security forces comprising local police, Rashtriya Rifles and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) troopers surrounded the area in the evening but came under fire," a senior police officer told a news agency here.
This triggered the gunfight which will was still on.
"The security forces are carrying out the operations against the militants with extreme caution to ensure that civilian life and property is not damaged in the area," he added.
The operation was suspended for the night but security forces maintained the cordon to prevent the ultras from escaping.
"The operation is in progress as there might be more militants there," a police officer said.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city