Top LeT commander killed in encounter in Sopore
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Top Lashkar-e-Toiba commander was killed in an ongoing encounter in Sopore town of Jammu and Kashmir`s Baramulla district.
Acting on a specific information, a joint team of Army and Kashmir Police cordoned off Krankshavan clony in Sopore at around 5:15 pm on Sunday.
"Following specific intelligence inputs about the presence of a group of militants in Krankshavan colony of Sopore, security forces comprising local police, Rashtriya Rifles and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) troopers surrounded the area in the evening but came under fire," a senior police officer told a news agency here.
This triggered the gunfight which will was still on.
"The security forces are carrying out the operations against the militants with extreme caution to ensure that civilian life and property is not damaged in the area," he added.
The operation was suspended for the night but security forces maintained the cordon to prevent the ultras from escaping.
"The operation is in progress as there might be more militants there," a police officer said.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Minor gang-raped in UP's Etah
- Three drowned as car plunges into canal in UP
- After clinching historic silver medal, here's what PV Sindhu was allowed to do by coach Pullela Gopichand
- Welspun India hires Ernst & Young to probe US export lapses
- BIZARRE PUNISHMENT! Kim Jong-Un to make North Korean athletes, who could not win medals in Rio Olympics, work in coal mines?