Top LeT commander killed in encounter in Sopore
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Top Lashkar-e-Toiba commander was killed in an ongoing encounter in Sopore town of Jammu and Kashmir`s Baramulla district.
Acting on a specific information, a joint team of Army and Kashmir Police cordoned off Krankshavan clony in Sopore at around 5:15 pm on Sunday.
"Following specific intelligence inputs about the presence of a group of militants in Krankshavan colony of Sopore, security forces comprising local police, Rashtriya Rifles and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) troopers surrounded the area in the evening but came under fire," a senior police officer told a news agency here.
This triggered the gunfight which will was still on.
"The security forces are carrying out the operations against the militants with extreme caution to ensure that civilian life and property is not damaged in the area," he added.
The operation was suspended for the night but security forces maintained the cordon to prevent the ultras from escaping.
"The operation is in progress as there might be more militants there," a police officer said.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indian boat patrols on Ladakh's Pangong Tso Lake
- Over 3,000 migrants dead in Mediterranean so far in 2016
- North Korea says any further nuclear test depends on US
- British Council employee under fire over Prince George remarks
- British convert to Islam 'Jihadi Jack' denies joining ISIS
- Rio Olympics: Saina Nehwal seeded 5th, PV Sindhu 9th for the 2016 Games