Two killed in Kashmir firing, Army orders probe
Srinagar: Two people were killed in Jammu and Kashmir Sunday allegedly in firing by security forces. The Army has ordered an investigation into the incident and assured action against anybody found guilty.
Residents of Markundal village in north Kashmir`s Bandipora district, some 40 km from here, alleged that Irfan Nabi Ganai, an 18-year-old student, was killed by security forces early Sunday.
Carrying the body, locals staged a protest in the area. However, when the protesters turned violent and tried to set an army ambulance afire, security forces opened fire in which four people got injured, army sources said.
One of the wounded, identified as Irshad Ahmad Dar, 28, succumbed to his injuries while being taken to hospital.
The three other wounded people were admitted to hospital in Srinagar.
The army said it deeply condoled the deaths of two people in firing incidents, assuring action against any trooper found guilty in these incidents.
"I deeply condole the deaths of the two persons who were killed in a firing incident today in Bandipora district. Our hearts go out to the bereaved families, " Major General RR Nimbhorkar, general officer commanding (GOC) of army`s Victor Force, told reporters in south Kashmir`s Awantipora headquarters of the counter-insurgency force.
"The incident has happened today morning. We have ordered an investigation into the incident. I can assure you that anybody found guilty in the incident would be punished," Nimbhorkar said.
The GOC asserted that a cordon had been laid around Markundal village after a tip-off about the presence of guerrillas there.
He said the operation had jointly been launched with police.
When asked whether he would confirm the two slain people had been killed in army firing, the GOC said nothing could be said with certainty unless the investigations were completed.
Villagers alleged that the army killed Ganai after he came out of his home around 3.30 am following rumours that thieves were moving around in the village.
Earlier army sources had told IANS that fire came from outside the cordoned off area in the village where the counter-insurgency Rashtriya Rifles had laid a cordon.
The sources also said an ambulance of the army had been caught in a violent mob, forcing the occupants to open fire in self-defence.
Spontaneous protests erupted in Markundal and adjacent villages after the news about the incidents spread.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now