Unresolved Indo-Pak issues hampering J&K growth: Omar
Jammu: Unresolved issues between India and Pakistan have hampered the growth and economic development of Jammu and Kashmir, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said on Tuesday.
"Unresolved political issues between India and Pakistan have further hampered the process of growth and economic development in Jammu and Kashmir," Abdullah said while interacting with students of Mass Media from Wilson College of Mumbai, who are here on a seven-day tour.
He said uncertainty of peace was a major stumbling block for promotion of industries and tourism in the state.
"When you are confronted with uncertainty and political instability, the normal process of progress is severely hampered," Abdullah said.
In reply to a question regarding return of Kashmiri Pandits to the Valley, Abdullah said lack of sense of security among them forced them to leave the Valley and his government was working to create a situation which would help to re-cultivate this sense of safety in them.
"We have initiated various measures and are implementing a special package with the assistance of the central government for the return of KPs to Valley," he said, adding, their return cannot be forced.
On the issue of human rights, Abdullah mentioned his advocacy for constitution of Truth and Reconciliation Commission on South Africa model to resolve issues associated with militancy and violence.
The Chief Minister said Jammu and Kashmir presented a mosaic of cultural and geographical diversities. "We have three different regions of Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh and there are sub-regions within the regions with variegated cultures, dialects and heritage," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi