Villagers allege police harassment, hold protest in J&K
Srinagar: A group of villagers in south Kashmir`s Kulgam district on Sunday staged a protest against alleged harassment of a family by some police personnel in a land dispute case pending before court.
The residents of Laroo village, some 75 kms from here, took to the streets against harassment of the family which is having a land dispute with relatives, official sources said.
Protesters alleged that the police team picked up four male and two female members of the family yesterday, without any female cops accompanying them, they said.
The policemen also beat up the family members before taking them to a nearby camp, the protesters alleged.
Villagers are demanding action against the policemen for acting beyond their jurisdiction, as the matter was sub judice, sources said.
A police spokesperson, however, said the family members were picked up for questioning and had been let off since then.
He did not given any reasons why the police picked up the family members.
Meanwhile, CPI(M) MLA Kulgam MY Tarigami has condemned the alleged police action.
"First of all they should have a warrant of arrest. Then they should have taken female cops with them if they were to arrest any women," Tairgami said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users