Yasin Malik arrested during JKLF march in Srinagar
Srinagar: Police arrested Muhammad Yasin Malik, chairman of the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) following post-prayer protests in uptown Maisuma locality of summer capital Srinagar on Friday.
Malik was leading dozens of supporters after the Friday prayers during a JKLF march to city centre Lal Chowk from the adjacent Maisuma locality.
Police intercepted the march and arrested Malik and five other JKLF leaders. This resulted in protests as people in the area resorted to heavy stone pelting at police and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel.
Security forces used batons and tear gas shells to disperse the protesters who kept regrouping to throw stones at the forces.
Malik and the five leaders were taken to Kothibagh police station.
Friday`s protest was against the sentencing of three Kashmiris by courts in the state for their involvement in separatist violence during the last 23 years.
Malik told a news agency: "After 20 years, Kashmiris are being sentenced to life imprisonment. Why were we released from jails in the first place? If there is no embargo on peaceful protests I must ask the Indian civil society why are old cases being opened up against Kashmiris now?"
"Ours is a peaceful struggle and pushing people to the wall would be dangerous. I appeal to the intelligentsia and the civil society in India to ponder over the serious situation that is emerging because of the sentencing of our people to life imprisonment," Malik added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended