Yasin Malik arrested during JKLF march in Srinagar
Srinagar: Police arrested Muhammad Yasin Malik, chairman of the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) following post-prayer protests in uptown Maisuma locality of summer capital Srinagar on Friday.
Malik was leading dozens of supporters after the Friday prayers during a JKLF march to city centre Lal Chowk from the adjacent Maisuma locality.
Police intercepted the march and arrested Malik and five other JKLF leaders. This resulted in protests as people in the area resorted to heavy stone pelting at police and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel.
Security forces used batons and tear gas shells to disperse the protesters who kept regrouping to throw stones at the forces.
Malik and the five leaders were taken to Kothibagh police station.
Friday`s protest was against the sentencing of three Kashmiris by courts in the state for their involvement in separatist violence during the last 23 years.
Malik told a news agency: "After 20 years, Kashmiris are being sentenced to life imprisonment. Why were we released from jails in the first place? If there is no embargo on peaceful protests I must ask the Indian civil society why are old cases being opened up against Kashmiris now?"
"Ours is a peaceful struggle and pushing people to the wall would be dangerous. I appeal to the intelligentsia and the civil society in India to ponder over the serious situation that is emerging because of the sentencing of our people to life imprisonment," Malik added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened