Yasin Malik detained at Srinagar airport
Srinagar: JKLF chairman Yasin Malik was on Sunday detained at Srinagar Airport soon after his arrival from Delhi and "escorted to his home" here.
Police sources said that Malik, who returned from Pakistan after over seven-week stay yesterday, was detained at the airport and escorted to his home at Maisuma.
Malik, however, claimed that he has been put under house arrest.
"Malik was taken into custody by police within the airport premises and later taken out through the back gate," a spokesman of JKLF said.
The sources said the step was taken due to apprehension of breach of peace following Malik`s return to the Valley.
Kashmir has been rocked by protests since the hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru on February 9, which has resulted in the death of four persons and injuries to scores of others.
The separatists have threatened to continue the protests till their demand for return of mortal remains of Guru and JKLF founder Mohammad Maqbool Bhat who was also hanged in Delhi`s Tihar jail on February 11, 1984, is met.
Malik has been under attack for meeting terror outfit Lashker-e-Toiba (LeT) chief Hafeez Saeed in Pakistan and his return to national capital yesterday saw protests by Shiv Sena activists at the airport.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview