Cyclone Phailin: Heavy rains lash Jharkhand
Ranchi: Heavy rains on Sunday lashed Jharkhand following the "peripheral effect" of cyclone Phailin, now centred in neighbouring Odisha, and more rains have been forecast in the state till tomorrow.
"The peripheral effect following Phailin that lay centred in Odisha began in Jharkhand since early morning with heavy rains lashing several districts of the state," a MeT spokesman said here today.
He said 74.6 mm rain was recorded in Ranchi till 8.30 am while Jamshedpur (52.4 mm), Bokaro (58.4 mm) along with other districts also experienced heavy rainfall and surface winds.
"The severe cyclonic storm is expected to turn into deep depression by this evening," the spokesman added.
Weather scientist at the Birsa Agriculture University A Wadood said Khunti, East and West Singhbhum districts, Simdega, Latehar, Lohardaga, Ranchi, Bokaro, Gumla, Hazaribagh, Ramgarh were experiencing downpour.
Barring an early morning lightning strike at Simdradhao village in Giridih district in which a person was killed, there were no reports of rain-related casualty anywhere in the state, according to police.
The Disaster Management Department and the district administrations were monitoring the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- GoAir announces heavy Monsoon bonanza; fly as low as Rs 849
- ICSI CS foundation programme exam 2016 result to be declared today on June 29. Check icsi.examresults.net
- Jay Leno survives accident
- REVEALED: Why Kumar Sangakkara left Sachin Tendulkar out of his All Time XI
- Elvis Presley's guitarist Scotty Moore dies at 84