Cyclone Phailin: Heavy rains lash Jharkhand
Ranchi: Heavy rains on Sunday lashed Jharkhand following the "peripheral effect" of cyclone Phailin, now centred in neighbouring Odisha, and more rains have been forecast in the state till tomorrow.
"The peripheral effect following Phailin that lay centred in Odisha began in Jharkhand since early morning with heavy rains lashing several districts of the state," a MeT spokesman said here today.
He said 74.6 mm rain was recorded in Ranchi till 8.30 am while Jamshedpur (52.4 mm), Bokaro (58.4 mm) along with other districts also experienced heavy rainfall and surface winds.
"The severe cyclonic storm is expected to turn into deep depression by this evening," the spokesman added.
Weather scientist at the Birsa Agriculture University A Wadood said Khunti, East and West Singhbhum districts, Simdega, Latehar, Lohardaga, Ranchi, Bokaro, Gumla, Hazaribagh, Ramgarh were experiencing downpour.
Barring an early morning lightning strike at Simdradhao village in Giridih district in which a person was killed, there were no reports of rain-related casualty anywhere in the state, according to police.
The Disaster Management Department and the district administrations were monitoring the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?