Incessant rains in Jharkhand
Ranchi: Incessant rains in Jharkhand since Wednesday have inundated low-lying areas leading authorities to evacuate over 500 people in Jamshedpur.
While the state recorded 80 mm rainfall, the state capital recorded 88.6 mm till 8.30 am today, the Met office said here.
A report from Jamshedpur said over 500 people living in low-lying places of Jamshedpur and its adjoining areas in East Singhbhum district were shifted to safer places with rivers Kharkhai and Swarnarekha in spate due to the rains.
"We have already shifted 35 families of Shashtrinagar in the city to a relief camp while people living in the catchment areas in Bagbera, on the outskirts of the city, were shifted to safer places", Deputy Commissioner of East Singhbhum district Himani Pande said.
The administration, she said, has also alerted residents of Ghatsila and Baharagora.
"The water level of the rivers is rising and we have also alerted the authorities in Ghatsila and Baharagora in view of rising water level in Chandil, which is flowing at 179 m against the danger level of 181m, she said.
While Kharkhai was flowing at 133.2 m against the danger level of 129 m, the Swarnarekha has crossed the red mark of 121.5 m and flowing at 122.48m, the sources said.
Besides continuous rainfall, the situation was aggravated after the Mayurbhanj district administration in Orissa opened sluice gates in view of the increasing water level there, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video