Incessant rains in Jharkhand
Ranchi: Incessant rains in Jharkhand since Wednesday have inundated low-lying areas leading authorities to evacuate over 500 people in Jamshedpur.
While the state recorded 80 mm rainfall, the state capital recorded 88.6 mm till 8.30 am today, the Met office said here.
A report from Jamshedpur said over 500 people living in low-lying places of Jamshedpur and its adjoining areas in East Singhbhum district were shifted to safer places with rivers Kharkhai and Swarnarekha in spate due to the rains.
"We have already shifted 35 families of Shashtrinagar in the city to a relief camp while people living in the catchment areas in Bagbera, on the outskirts of the city, were shifted to safer places", Deputy Commissioner of East Singhbhum district Himani Pande said.
The administration, she said, has also alerted residents of Ghatsila and Baharagora.
"The water level of the rivers is rising and we have also alerted the authorities in Ghatsila and Baharagora in view of rising water level in Chandil, which is flowing at 179 m against the danger level of 181m, she said.
While Kharkhai was flowing at 133.2 m against the danger level of 129 m, the Swarnarekha has crossed the red mark of 121.5 m and flowing at 122.48m, the sources said.
Besides continuous rainfall, the situation was aggravated after the Mayurbhanj district administration in Orissa opened sluice gates in view of the increasing water level there, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo