Raid at Palamu jail; mobile phones recovered
Medininagar: Mobile phones and other banned articles were seized from inmates during a raid conducted by the district administration at the Palamu Central Jail.
A police team led by Deputy Commissioner Puja Singhal and Superintendent of Police Anup T Mathew undertook the raid late last night after a complaint by a trader that an undertrial had demanded Rs 10 lakh as extortion from him.
"We have detected that the (extortion) call was made from the Central Jail," Mathew said.
Seven mobile phones, five SIM cards, five chargers, three ear phones, one pen drive, one knife and ten packets of ganja were recovered from the possession of the inmates, he said.
The call jammer in the prison, which houses 35 extremists and 24 notorious criminals, was not functioning, he said.
The district administration would recommend for the transfer of the jail guards.
Mathew said all the jawans participating in the raid were rewarded Rs 1,000 as appreciation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog