Seven killed in encounter with Maoists in Jharkhand
Latehar: Six Maoists and one jawan were on Thursday killed and another injured during a fierce encounter between the ultras and security forces at Karamdih in Latehar district, police said.
IGP (Zonal) Deepak Verma said the security men had seen bodies of six Maoists being dragged away by their associates after they fell to bullets.
Police intelligence also confirmed that the Maoists had died, but their bodies have not been recovered so far.
"Satyaprakash Jaiswal, who was with the COBRA force, succumbed to bullet injuries during the encounter," Latehar SP Kranti Kumar told reporters.
"Another injured jawan of Jharkhand Jaguar, Sanjay Paswan, is being treated in a hospital in Ranchi," he said, adding the security forces had inflicted "heavy damage" to the Maoists in the five-hour long battle.
The security forces had entered the forests of Latehar three days ago and caught the Maoists unaware today, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons