Seven killed in encounter with Maoists in Jharkhand
Latehar: Six Maoists and one jawan were on Thursday killed and another injured during a fierce encounter between the ultras and security forces at Karamdih in Latehar district, police said.
IGP (Zonal) Deepak Verma said the security men had seen bodies of six Maoists being dragged away by their associates after they fell to bullets.
Police intelligence also confirmed that the Maoists had died, but their bodies have not been recovered so far.
"Satyaprakash Jaiswal, who was with the COBRA force, succumbed to bullet injuries during the encounter," Latehar SP Kranti Kumar told reporters.
"Another injured jawan of Jharkhand Jaguar, Sanjay Paswan, is being treated in a hospital in Ranchi," he said, adding the security forces had inflicted "heavy damage" to the Maoists in the five-hour long battle.
The security forces had entered the forests of Latehar three days ago and caught the Maoists unaware today, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof