BJP hits back, seeks disqualification of pro-Yeddurappa MLAs
Bangalore: Launching a counter-offensive against B S Yeddyurappa, ruling BJP in Karnataka on Monday sought disqualification of 12 party MLAs loyal to him for "anti-party activities" as Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar sounded confident of riding over the storm.
A petition signed by two BJP MLAs -- Beluru Gopalakrishna and M V Nagaraju -- was submitted to the Speaker`s office praying for disqualification of 12 MLAs who, it said, had indulged in anti-party activities and were attempting to topple the government under pressure (from Yeddyurappa).
A CD and documents in support of their claim of "anti-party activities" were submitted to Assembly Secretary P Omprakasha, in the absence of Speaker K G Bopaiah, away in his home town Madikeri, Gopalakrishna told reporters.
Shettar got a full backing of the party central leadership today during his visit to New Delhi to congratulate new BJP President Rajnath Singh, who expressed total confidence in his leadership.
The Chief Minister said there was no threat to his government and he would present the budget on February 8, which the KJP is keen to scuttle to deny any advantage to the BJP ahead of the assembly polls due in May.
Yeddyurappa, meanwhile, said he has no intention to topple the Shettar Ministry and indicated he is not averse to presentation of budget. "Our aim is not to topple the Government", Yeddyurappa, who quit the BJP nearly two months ago, told reporters here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17