BJP hits back, seeks disqualification of pro-Yeddurappa MLAs
Bangalore: Launching a counter-offensive against B S Yeddyurappa, ruling BJP in Karnataka on Monday sought disqualification of 12 party MLAs loyal to him for "anti-party activities" as Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar sounded confident of riding over the storm.
A petition signed by two BJP MLAs -- Beluru Gopalakrishna and M V Nagaraju -- was submitted to the Speaker`s office praying for disqualification of 12 MLAs who, it said, had indulged in anti-party activities and were attempting to topple the government under pressure (from Yeddyurappa).
A CD and documents in support of their claim of "anti-party activities" were submitted to Assembly Secretary P Omprakasha, in the absence of Speaker K G Bopaiah, away in his home town Madikeri, Gopalakrishna told reporters.
Shettar got a full backing of the party central leadership today during his visit to New Delhi to congratulate new BJP President Rajnath Singh, who expressed total confidence in his leadership.
The Chief Minister said there was no threat to his government and he would present the budget on February 8, which the KJP is keen to scuttle to deny any advantage to the BJP ahead of the assembly polls due in May.
Yeddyurappa, meanwhile, said he has no intention to topple the Shettar Ministry and indicated he is not averse to presentation of budget. "Our aim is not to topple the Government", Yeddyurappa, who quit the BJP nearly two months ago, told reporters here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!