EC sets the ball rolling on Karnataka Assembly elections
Bangalore: The Election Commission on Friday set the ball rolling on the formal preparatory exercise for the Assembly polls in Karnataka, expected in May, by interacting with representatives of political parties here.
The full bench of the EC, led by Chief Election Commissioner V S Sampath and comprising Election Commissioners H S Brahma and Nasim Zaidi, held discussions and listened to suggestions of the parties regarding the poll, official sources said.
The two-day visit of the EC is "routine" as it`s always the practice in a poll-bound state, they said.
The EC bench would review district-wise preparedness, hold interactions with the jurisdictional deputy commissioners and superintendents of police on Thursday.
The term of the present Assembly ends on June 3.
A delegation of the ruling BJP told the EC that the expenditure limit for the Assembly election needs to be enhanced. "The price rise and inflation have caused the expenditure limits to be unrealistic", it said.
BJP also suggested that appropriate controlling mechanisms and a code of conduct be brought for curbing `paid news`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- LOL: Never ever say these annoying things to a tall person! – Watch video
- Max Landis writing 'Pepe Le Pew' movie!
- Demand to ban advertisements on fairness creams in RS
- Migaloo sighting alert! White humpback whale spotted off Australia's Byron Bay (See pic)
- 'Iron Lady' Irom Sharmila to end 16-year fast on August 9, contest elections in Manipur