EC sets the ball rolling on Karnataka Assembly elections
Bangalore: The Election Commission on Friday set the ball rolling on the formal preparatory exercise for the Assembly polls in Karnataka, expected in May, by interacting with representatives of political parties here.
The full bench of the EC, led by Chief Election Commissioner V S Sampath and comprising Election Commissioners H S Brahma and Nasim Zaidi, held discussions and listened to suggestions of the parties regarding the poll, official sources said.
The two-day visit of the EC is "routine" as it`s always the practice in a poll-bound state, they said.
The EC bench would review district-wise preparedness, hold interactions with the jurisdictional deputy commissioners and superintendents of police on Thursday.
The term of the present Assembly ends on June 3.
A delegation of the ruling BJP told the EC that the expenditure limit for the Assembly election needs to be enhanced. "The price rise and inflation have caused the expenditure limits to be unrealistic", it said.
BJP also suggested that appropriate controlling mechanisms and a code of conduct be brought for curbing `paid news`.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview