Foreign jaunt row: Karnataka MLAs insist they will go ahead
Bangalore: Brushing aside intense criticism over its planned foreign trip, a Karnataka Legislature committee on Thursday insisted it will go ahead with its tour of three South American countries, even as another group of MLAs is currently touring Australia.
As the controversy snowballed over the visit of 18 MLAs of the Estimates Committee to Brazil, Argentina and Peru, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah also defended their tour planned for January, saying it was not as if they were going on the foreign tour this year for the first time.
"Why are you making it a big issue?" Siddaramaiah asked reporters, adding, "It is the legislature committee which decides and they don`t come to us (the government)."
The Legislature Committee chief Mallikayya Guttedar said they were "not commiting a big crime" and expressed surprise over the outcry.
Meanwhile, Assembly Speaker Kagodu Thimappa said another team of about 18 legislators was now in Australia.
The committee on welfare of backward classes was on a 12 to 13 day trip to Australia and other countries, he said.
Unperturbed by the controversy, Guttedar said they had decided to go ahead with their trip, whose schedule would be decided depending on the legislature session next month.
"We are not committing a big crime...Don`t you send school children on vacation..Similarly MPs and MLAs are being sent through the legislature committees..", he told reporters.
He said Rs 7 to 7.5 lakh was being spent on each MLA and "not crores of Rupees," and added that legislators in other states too undertake similar study tours of foreign countries.
The 10 to 12-day "study tour" of the Estimates Committee comprising MLAs from all parties will cover holiday destinations such as Rio De Janerio, Manaus, Iguassu, Lima, Cusco, and Buenos Aires, besides Dubai.
Among the destinations are the "exuberant ecosystems of Rio`s tropical urban jungle" and shopping at Manaus, where they will "experience rhythms of Samba, Tango and Paraguayan music during dinner and a show at a local restaurant."
The junkets come at a time when many taluks in the state have been declared drought-hit, with central teams visiting the affected regions after the state government sought funds to grapple with the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly