HC quashes two FIRs against Nityananda
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court on Monday quashed two FIRs filed against self-styled godman Nithyananda, one pertaining to his activities at the ashram and the other over alleged assault on a pro-Kannada leader.
Justice K N Keshavanarayana allowed a criminal petition filed by Nityananda seeking quashing of an FIR filed by police at Bidadi in June 2012 that his activities at his ashram at Dhyanapeetam disturbed public peace.
Nithyananda was also in judicial custody for a few days following his arrest in this case.
The judge also quashed another FIR lodged against the controversial godman on a complaint by a pro-Kannada outfit leader, charging his followers with assaulting him.
Nithyananda is facing a CID probe into charges of rape and criminal intimidation levelled against him in 2010 after some TV channels telecast purported video footage of the self styled godman in a compromising position with an actress.
He is already embroiled in a spate of criminal cases, including rape and physical assault. His ashram was raided in June last year by police in the wake of a US-based woman alleging she was sexually abused by him over a five year period.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark