I am very happy with Karnataka govt decision on mining probe: Hegde
Bangalore: Former Karnataka Lokayukta Justice (Retd) N Santosh Hegde on Friday expressed delight over the Congress government`s decision ordering high-level enquiries into the mega mining scam which he had unearthed and expressed hope over the probe reaching "logical conclusion".
"I am very happy", the former Supreme Court judge told a news agency on the Cabinet`s decision yesterday on handing over probe into the scam to a Special Investigation Team (SIT), CBI and Enforcement Directorate and also establish a special court to try such cases.
"I think it`s the first step that the Government is taking and I find it`s a major step", Hegde said.
Hegde`s final report submitted in July 2011 estimated the loss of revenue to the state exchequer due to illegal mining in the State between 2006 and 2010 at more than Rs 16,000 crore. The report had also named 797 officials.
Following his indictment in the report, the then CHIEF minister BS Yeddyurappa had to quit complying with the direction of the BJP`s central leadership.
"I hope it (the probe) will be taken to its logical conclusion", Hegde said.
The Cabinet, chaired by Chief Minister Siddaramaiah, gave the green signal for investigation by CBI into illegal export of iron ore from seven ports in Karnataka and neighbouring States.
The government also said an SIT would be constituted. The issues to be probed include evasion of royalty to the Government and forest development tax. It also announced that a special court would be established to try cases of illegal mining.
To investigate cases relating to investment made from the wealth of illegal mining, the Cabinet decided to hand over such cases to the ED and facilitation of invoking of the stringent Prevention of Money Laundering Act.
Obviously referring to the previous BJP government, Hegde said nothing had been done to act on his reports in the last two years and there was a lot of "dilly-dallying" and "excuses".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’