Illegal mining case: Ex- Karnataka minister Gali Janardhan Reddy chargesheeted
Bangalore: Former Karnataka Minister and mining baron Gali Janardhan Reddy and six others were on Monday charge sheeted by CBI in a court here in connection with alleged illegal mining of iron ore which caused a loss of Rs 198 crore to the exchequer.
CBI booked Reddy, his personal assistant M Ali Khan, the then Deputy Conservator of Forest, Bellary, S Muthiah, the then Deputy Director of Mines and Geology, SP Raju, the then Conservator of Forests, Manoj Kumar Shukla, and two private persons Swastik Nagaraj and K Mahesh for alleged criminal conspiracy, an agency spokesperson said here.
In its charge sheet file before the Bangalore court, CBI has slapped Indian Penal Code sections related to criminal breach of trust by public servant, cheating, forgery and forgery for the purpose of cheating among others besides provisions of the Prevention of Corruption Act against them.
The agency has alleged that Reddy and others entered into a criminal conspiracy during 2009-10 to illegally excavate iron ore from various forest areas in Bellary district and surrounding areas, CBI sources said.
It alleged that they excavated iron ore to sell it to various traders and transported the ore to Belekeri port for export purpose causing a wrongful loss of Rs 198-crores to the state exchequer and wrongful gain to themselves, they said.
"All the accused persons against whom the charge sheet is filed are in judicial custody," CBI spokesperson said.
The agency has taken up the investigations on the directives of the Supreme Court. The apex court had appointed a Central Empowered Committee(CEC), which recommended an in- depth investigation of the mining and exports of the ore.
The CEC had recommended that CBI must investigate all aspects of the illegalities associated with raising, transportation, sale and purchase, storage and disposal of about 3.4 mn tonnes of iron ore exported from January 1, 2009 to May 31,2010 by four exporters.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged