Kagodu Thimmappa to become Karnataka Assembly Speaker
Bangalore: Senior Congress leader Kagodu Thimmappa is all set to become the Speaker of Karnataka Legislative Assembly unopposed.
He was the lone candidate who filed nomination papers for the post, and will be declared elected tomorrow during the ongoing session of the Assembly.
82-year-old Thimmappa, a former Minister and MLA from Sagara in Shimoga district, was initially reluctant to take the position as he was keen to join the Siddaramaiah Cabinet but was persuaded by the Congress leadership to change his mind.
Meanwhile, seventy members took oath on Thursday on the second day of the maiden session of the 14th assembly today, taking the overall figure to 216, after 146 did so yesterday. Of the total current strength of 223 in the House, seven are yet to take oath.
They include senior MLA D K Shivakumar, who was apparently denied cabinet berth as he faced corruption charges, and BSR Congress chief B Sriramulu, both of whom were absent on the first two days.
Leader of Opposition H D Kumaraswamy, state JDS chief, was among those who took oath today.
Outside the Assembly, Kumaraswamy acknowledged that he now has the privilege of serving as Leader of Opposition, a position once held by his father and JDS supremo and former Prime Minister H D Deve Gowda. Both served as Chief Ministers.
He termed as "childish" Tamil Nadu government`s move to file a suit in the Supreme Court seeking around Rs 2,500 crore damages from Karnataka for loss of `samba` and `kuruvai` crops owing to the non-release of water as per the order of Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal.
Kumaraswamy questioned Tamil Government`s approach to encourage farmers to grow crops in the region while knowing fully well that there was going to be shortfall of rains and Karnataka has problems on the drinking water front and that it`s reservoirs are "empty".
"Instead of filing suit in Supreme Court, it would have been better if she (Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa) had filed petition before rain Gods", he quipped.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday