Karnataka MLAs plan junket to South American countries
Bangalore: A contingent of MLAs from Karnataka is planning to embark on a 10 to 12-day tour of Brazil, Argentina and Peru next month, sparking a controversy over the proposed jaunt when parts of the state are hit by drought.
The "study tour" of the Estimates Committee of the Legislature, comprising MLAs from all parties will cover holiday destinations such as Rio de Janerio, Manaus, Iguassu, Lima, Cusco, and Buenos Aires, besides Dubai, according to the itinerary.
Among the destinations are the "exuberant ecosystems of Rio`s tropical urban jungle" and shopping at Manaus, where they will experience rhythms of Samba, Tango and Paraguayan music during dinner and a show at a local restaurant."
The planned junket comes even as 65 taluks in the state have been declared drought-hit, parts of which were visited recently by the central teams after Karnataka government sought funds from the Centre to meet the situation.
"The Estimates Committee, consisting of as many as 18 legislators, is planning a study tour of Brazil, Argentina and Peru," Karnataka Assembly Speaker Kagodu Thimappa told a news agency.
He said the tour programme has been approved but the date of journey has yet to be finalised. "It depends on the committee to decide on the date of journey and schedule."
The tour may cost the state exchequer about Rs 60 lakh, the Speaker said, adding the trip is for 10 to 12 days.
The legislators would visit South American countries to study the developments there in various departments, he said.
Asked about the tour coming at a time when parts of the state are reeling under drought, Thimappa said it is for the legislators to take a call on the tour.
Former Assembly speaker KG Bopaiah (BJP) said he had not yet made up his mind on joining the trip, while Vishwanath Patil (KJP) said he would not undertake the tour.
A similar planned junket of 100 MLAs in different batches when large parts of the state were reeling under drought during the BJP rule last year had triggered a public outcry.
The tour by members of five legislature committees numbering around 20 each, accompanied by 15 officials, to Russia, South America and Scandinavian countries in September and October was then expected to cost the state exchequer over Rs eight crore.
Following the outcry, the then Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar had asked a batch of legislators on a visit to Argentina and other countries to call off their trip and fly back home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo