Not possible to release Cauvery water to TN for now: Shettar
Hubli: It is not possible for Karnataka to release Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu "for now" as the state is facing drought and acute drinking water scarcity, Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar said on Sunday.
"For now, it is not possible for the government to release Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu as the state is reeling under drought and acute drinking water problem," he told reporters at his residence here.
Shettar said an all-party delegation from the state would visit New Delhi tomorrow and meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and urge him not to notify the proposed final award of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal.
The delegation, comprising MPs, Union ministers and Opposition party leaders, would try to convince Singh not to notify the final award as the state was facing drought and drinking water problems, Shettar said.
"In spite of these problems, our government has released water to Tamil Nadu honouring the Supreme Court order. But for now, it is not possible for us to release water under the present condition," he said.
Shettar also rejected the demand for replacing Fali Nariman as head of Karnataka`s legal team on Cauvery as he had represented the case for the past forty years.
Karnataka commenced release of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu from February 9 complying with the Supreme Court order directing it to release 2.44 tmc to save standing crops. The release triggered protests by farmers outfits.
Karnataka has moved the Supreme Court seeking review of its order citing depleted storage in its reservoirs.
Referring to Urban Local bodies polls, Shettar clarified that the the elections were delayed not due to fear of facing the electoral test, but government wanted to conduct it based on 2011 reservation pattern.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP