Not possible to release Cauvery water to TN for now: Shettar
Hubli: It is not possible for Karnataka to release Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu "for now" as the state is facing drought and acute drinking water scarcity, Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar said on Sunday.
"For now, it is not possible for the government to release Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu as the state is reeling under drought and acute drinking water problem," he told reporters at his residence here.
Shettar said an all-party delegation from the state would visit New Delhi tomorrow and meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and urge him not to notify the proposed final award of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal.
The delegation, comprising MPs, Union ministers and Opposition party leaders, would try to convince Singh not to notify the final award as the state was facing drought and drinking water problems, Shettar said.
"In spite of these problems, our government has released water to Tamil Nadu honouring the Supreme Court order. But for now, it is not possible for us to release water under the present condition," he said.
Shettar also rejected the demand for replacing Fali Nariman as head of Karnataka`s legal team on Cauvery as he had represented the case for the past forty years.
Karnataka commenced release of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu from February 9 complying with the Supreme Court order directing it to release 2.44 tmc to save standing crops. The release triggered protests by farmers outfits.
Karnataka has moved the Supreme Court seeking review of its order citing depleted storage in its reservoirs.
Referring to Urban Local bodies polls, Shettar clarified that the the elections were delayed not due to fear of facing the electoral test, but government wanted to conduct it based on 2011 reservation pattern.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery