Post CBI raids, Yeddyurappa seeks anticipatory bail
Bangalore: Beleaguered former Karnataka chief minister BS Yeddyurappa on Wednesday moved a CBI court seeking anticipatory bail following raids by the central investigating agency on his residences.
The CBI today raided his and his family members` residences and two mining firms as it launched a probe into his alleged role in illegal mining in line with a Supreme Court directive.
A day after registering an FIR, CBI officials conducted the raids at eight premises belonging to Yeddyurappa, his sons BY Raghavendra, a Lok Sabha member, and BY Vijayendra, as well as son-in-law Sohan Kumar in Bangalore and Shimoga district.
The CBI also raided the offices of JSW Steel and South West Mining Company Limited in Bellary, besides searching the house of a mining leaseholder, police sources said.
The crackdown by the central agency came after it registered a case for offences under IPC including criminal conspiracy and criminal breach of trust besides under the provisions of the Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Act and Prevention of Corruption Act.
Yeddyurappa has been accused of granting undue favours to the two firms in lieu of donations made by them to a charitable trust run by his family.
The raids, which began at 6.15 am, were being conducted by a joint team of CBI officials from Hyderabad and Bangalore.
The searches were held at Yeddyurappa`s residences in Dollars Colony and Race Course Road here and a firm owned by one of his sons.
The Supreme Court order for the CBI probe came after an empowered committee set up by it submitted its report and pointing out several allegations against Yeddyurappa and corporate entities and recommending a CBI probe.
Meanwhile, JSW Steel in a press statement maintained "It has neither done any illegal activity nor was it connected with any wrong doing."
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves