Ready to face no-confidence motion if Opposition moves it: Shettar
Bangalore/Davanagere: Asserting that his government still enjoyed a majority even after 13 BJP MLAs announced their resignation, Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Sunday said he is ready to face a no-confidence motion, if the opposition moves it.
"I have majority. There is no threat to the government. I am ready to face a no-confidence motion if the opposition moves it," he told reporters at Honnali, 60 km away from Davanagere in the presence of Excise minister M P Renukacharya, a staunch Yedyurappa loyalist.
Shettar said he would be leaving for Delhi today to meet newly elected BJP President Rajnath Singh.
The Shettar government`s very survival is at stake after 13 MLAs loyal to Karnataka Janata Party chief and former BJP strongman B S Yeddyurappa announced their decision to quit assembly membership.
Their bid to submit their resignations to Speaker K G Bopaiah on Jan 23 was in vain as he was not in station, an issue over which they cried foul and petitioned Governor H R Bhardwaj to whom they submitted copies of resignation letters.
Bhardwaj had stated yesterday that the Shettar government still enjoyed a majority and as leader of the BJP legislature party, it was left left to him to take action on the issue of resignation by 13 MLAs.
Bopaiah, who is in Madikeri, will return to the city tomorrow.
Sources in the KJP said that apart from the 13 MLAs who are ready to quit their assembly membership, eight more are likely to join them.
But BJP leaders are engaged in hectic parleys to prevent them from resigning.
The BJP wants to ensure that the budget session starting from February 4 passes off without any trouble.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming